• Replace or repair loose or frayed cords on all electrical devices.
  • Avoid running extension cords across doorways or under carpets.
  • In homes with small children, unused wall sockets and extension-cord receptacles should have plastic safety covers.
  • Consider having additional circuits or outlets added by a qualified electrician so you do not have to use extension cords.
  • Follow the manufacturer's instructions for plugging an appliance into a receptacle outlet.
  • Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only 1 high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time.
  • If outlets or switches feel warm, shut off the circuit and have them checked by an electrician.
  • When possible, avoid the use of "cube taps" and other devices that allow the connection of multiple appliances into a single receptacle.
Extension Cords
  • Extension cords should be for temporary use only. They are not intended to replace permanent household wiring.
  • Cords should be discarded if they are cracked or frayed
  • Cords should be used according to their ratings (indoor or outdoor use) and according to the power needs of the appliance that is being plugged in
  • Never nail or staple cords or use cords that are coiled or bent.
  • If the cord is hot to the touch then it should be replaced with a cord that has a higher wattage capacity.
  • Always unplug the cord by pulling on the plug and not the cord.
Polarized & 3-Prong Plugs
  • Polarized plugs have 1 blade that is slightly bigger than the other. This design makes sure that plugs are plugged into outlets correctly and also reduces the risk of electric shock. Never shove a polarized plug into a non-polarized outlet or extension cord.
  • 3-prong plugs also help to reduce the risk of electric shock. Never remove the 3rd prong in order to make it fit into a 2 prong outlet or extension cord.
Light Bulbs
  • Check the lamp's wattage and use the appropriate watt light bulb.
  • Make sure that light bulbs are screwed in securely to prevent overheating.
  • Place lamps on level surfaces, away from things that can burn.
  • If you smell a faint burning or rubbery smell from a lamp then the wattage level of the light bulb is too high for the lamp and it should be replaced with the appropriate bulb.
  • Replace all incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs. They save energy as well as illuminate at much cooler temperatures.
Reprinted courtesy of MA EOPSS